Like any speculation about people's sexual orientation, this list is often highly conjectural. A person's placement on the list should not be taken as proof one way or the other. If you have information about why a particular person should or should not be considered asexual, please add it and/or post to this article's Discussion page!
Edward Gorey (1925 – 2000) was an American illustrator and writer. An interview in 1980 revealed that he considered himself fortunate in that he was "apparently reasonably undersexed or something" and he agreed that the sexlessness of his books was a product of his asexuality.
Possible historical asexuals
Here follows a list of historical people who are suspected of having been asexual.
J.M. Barrie (1860 – 1937) was the author of Peter Pan, Barrie was married, but the relationship was sexless and ended in divorce.
Paul Erdős (1913 – 1996) was a prolific and eccentric Hungarian mathematician.
Adolf Hitler (1899 – 1945) was the president of Germany from 1933 to 1945. In correspondence, he noted that he "had no time or desire for sex" during what came to be known as World War I.
Isaac Newton (1643 – 1727) never married, preferring to concentrate on his scientific, mathematical, and philosophical studies.
Marilyn Monroe (1926 – 1962) was a model, actress, singer and "sex symbol" in the US in the 1950's. In her dairy she claimed to not understand the hype surrounding intercourse and to not feel attraction in the same way that other women do. 
Nikola Tesla (1856 – 1943) was the inventor of alternating current. Tesla remained celibate and never married. He claimed that his chastity was of great assistance to his scientific abilities.
Famous people who have come out as asexual
This list is for people who have said themselves that they self-identify as asexual at some point in time.
Emilie Autumn Violinist, singer
Bradford Cox The lead singer of the band Deerhunter
Janeane Garofalo American comedian, actress and radio-host
Tim Gunn Fashion consultant, Project Runway
Keri Hulme Writer from New-Zealand, Man Booker Prize Winner (1985) 
David Jay Founder of AVEN, American activist
Steven Patrick Morrissey a.k.a. Morrissey The lead singer of the band The Smiths 
Paula Poundstone American comedian, interviewer and commentator
Christine Sydelko Famous Viner, YouTuber and influencer. She quit making content on the internet in 2019.
- Asexuality in fiction for fictional portrayals of asexual or suspected-asexual characters.
- Gorey, Edward (2002), Ascending Peculiarity: Edward Gorey on Edward Gorey, Harvest Books, ISBN 978-0156012911
- Monroe, Marilyn & Ben Hecht. (2006). My Story. Taylor Trade Publishing. EAN: 9781589793163.
- Bridgeman, Shelley. (6 September, 2012)."Shelley Bridgeman: Asexual people are not freaks of nature". New Zealand Herald. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10832116
- Soghomonian, Talia. (30 July, 2015). "Morrissey Talks Sex, Stalkers and The Smiths in Classic NME Interview". NME. https://www.nme.com/features/morrissey-talks-sex-stalkers-and-the-smiths-in-classic-nme-interview-756834