Hallu's Grandma Helen's Yellow Cake
This is a vintage AVENwiki page, and has been protected against any further editing and archived for future reference uses. It has been retained for its historical relevance.
This recipe is part of the AVEN Cookbook
Hallucigenia's family has allowed her to post this super secret family recipe on the Internet on the condition that her grandmother's name be in the title. So, there it is. It doesn't happen to be purple, but it can easily be topped with a purple version of Butter Cream Frosting!
3 cups cake flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
5/8 cup soft shortening
1 7/8 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1) Grease the bottoms of two 9" round layer pans, then line with wax paper.
2) In one bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
3) In another bowl, thoroughly mix shortening with sugar, then eggs, until light and fluffy.
4) At low speed, beat in alternately the flour mixture in fourths and combined milk and vanilla in thirds, just until smooth.
5) Turn into pans.
6) Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees. May also be baked in a 13x9x2" pan, 35-40 minutes. In a convection oven, use a 13x9x2" pan at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
7) Wait for it to cool, then top with your preferred cake frosting.