Asexuality in the media
Asexuality is becoming ever more present in modern media. As well as being featured in a lot of TV media, it has also been the subject of numerous news articles, seeing quite possibly the largest amount of media attention in 2006. This articles focuses on Media such as interviews and Asexuality-centric publishing in print (nonfictional), video and audio form.
As of current, the AVENwiki has a page for the publisher and then lists said articles (which are navigational by the tracking asexuality in the media category ), rather than a page for the article itself. This page uses more-or-less the same concept (i.e. listing the articles by publisher). For fictional references to asexuality, see asexuality in fiction.
Media in print form
This is a list of media in print form, which may include any type of nonfictional articles, columns, magazine interviews, newspapers and/or websites.
- Huffington Post Gay Voices
- a collection of pictures talking about the asexual experience. "This Is What Asexual People Want You To Know About Their Lives"
- A radio interview on Juntafil, adapted into a print article titled "Fuck sex", on January 13, 2011. Briefly covers the basics of asexuality, with more of a focus on aromantic asexuals. The article notes that as of 2011, there are no openly asexual people in Norway. A translation of the article can be found here.
- Kitch Magazine
- Kitch Magazine included an article titled "I'd rather eat cake", written by Helen Havlak in Spring 2011.
- Good Vibrations Magazine
- On January 24 2011, Good Vibrations Magazine's blog published "Asexuality is Not Antisexuality: Sex-Positivity in a Negative World", by Swankivy.
- Annalee Newitz asks ""What does it mean if you don’t want to have sex?" in June 2011.
- The Rumpus
- On August 18th, 2011, The Rumpus interviewed David Jay. Read it here!
- In September 2011, German email provider Web.de included an article on Asexuality in it's news section. Read it here (in German)
- Out! NorthEast
- An article discussing asexuality was included in Out! NorthEast's November 2011 issue (issue 28). Read it here! (page 22)(PDF)
- "What asexuals reveal about sex", by Tracy Clark-Flory, August 20th, 2011.
- The Frisky
- ""What It Means To Be “Gray-Sexual”", an article on gray-asexuality by Rachel Rabbit White, November 22nd 2011.
- LGBT POV
- October 24th 2011, ""Asexuality: Toward a New Understanding of Intimacy" by Syd Peterson discusses Sara Beth Brooks and her involvement in asexual activism.
- Gay City News
- "Asexual Is Good" by Sebastian Maguire, November 9th 2011.
- Elaine Lin wrote an article on Jan. 9, 2012 about asexuality in the Money & Politics section. "Asexuality - Redefining Love and Sexuality".
- Jezebel, a blog aimed specifically at women, featured an article on asexuality on January 19th, 2012. Relevant thread.
- Red Eye Chicago
- An article discussing asexuality was featured on Red Eye Chicago on the 6th of March. +Arielle, a former AVEN PT member, was interviewed for this article. Read the article here.
- An article by Tracy Clark-Flory discussing asexuality and a episode of House, "“House” gets asexuality wrong" - "In a TV first, the Fox drama introduces asexual characters -- only to blame their identity on a medical condition" - January 31st, 2012.
- The Guardian has an article “Among the asexuals” by Rosie Swash, which discusses the asexual movement and life for asexual people.
- BBC (magazine)
- An article by Lucy Wallis in the BBC news magazine, ""What is it like to be asexual?" accompanies the appearance of Jenni Goodchild in the BBC's three-part TV series How Sex Works.
- The Atlantic
- On April 2nd 2012, Rachel Hills interviewed David Jay for The Atlantic in "Life Without Sex: The Third Phase of the Asexuality Movement"
- Sydney Morning Herald (2012)
- An article, "Asexual awakening", was published in the Sydney Morning Herald on May 9, 2012.
- Archives of Sexual Behavior
- A short paper by Anthony F. Bogaert, "Asexuality and Autochorissexualism (Identity-Less Sexuality)", was published in the Archives of Sexual Behavior on May 11, 2012.
- Jezebel (2012)
- Rachel Rabbit White writes how "Not Everybody Wants to Have Sex" for Jezebel.
- Details, a magazine aimed mostly at males, stated that "9% of those surveyed identified as asexual", discussed in this thread.
- The Gustavian Weekly
- College-centric newspaper The Gustavian Weekly published "Cloudy With A Chance Of Musing" on the 19th of April 2013.
- Xtra has an article about "Ontario asexuals challenging assumptions", published July 27th 2012
- Macleans On Campus
- Macleans On Campus published a press release about a new book, "Understanding Asexuality" on the 15th of August 2012.
- The Independent (2012)
- On the 19th of August 2012, The Independent reported on "Asexuals – the fourth sexual orientation".
- Lez Get Real
- Bridgette P. LaVictoire analyzes FOX's broadcast in "FOX News Host Lambasts Asexuals As Lepers", covering the recent FOX broadcast. 23rd of August 2012.
- ABC Nyheter
- ABC Nyheter published "De uinterisserte" ("The uninterested"), an article about asexuality that features David Jay and his experiences, and two sexologists who think that asexuality is cultural, and not an orientation. Published September 1, 2012. A translation of the article can be found here.
- Alice, an aromantic asexual, writes about her single life, and lack of interest in romance in "It Happened To Me: I'm 35 and I've Never Had A Romantic Relationship". Published October 10, 2012.
- Cosmopolitan (UK)
- Asexuality was briefly mentioned and discussed in Cosmo's November 2012 edition (page 203), under the heading "I don't want sex - with anyone". A scan of the article is available here.
- Scarleteen classifies asexuality as an orientation in their article, "The Rainbow Connection: Orientation For Everyone" published on the 28th of November 2012.
- The Sun
- Four asexual women were interviewed in "asexuals on why they don't miss sex", published in December 2012. The full version of the article requires a subscription.
- Chicago's Windy Times
- AVEN member Sparky9738 was interview by the Windy Times for their article "Asexuals make presence known, seek LGBTQ allies", January 2nd 2013.
- New York Times (2013)
- Asexuality is briefly mentioned in "Generation LGBTQA", published on the 9th of January.
- "Asexuality: The People's Choice for People Who Don't Want ANYONE" was published during January 2013
- Marie Claire (2013)
- Marie Claire interviews SilverKitsune, and publishes the subsequent article ""Asessuali Unitevi!", 30th January 2013
- "Let Them Eat Cake" was published on the 14th of February by Metroland.
- ""Asexuality: The Sexual Orientation You Might Not Know About" was published by HerCampus.com on the 17th of February 2013.
- La Stampa
- Italian newspaper LaStampa interviews Ithaca, their article was published during March 2013.
- Psychology and Sexuality
- The academic journal Psychology and Sexuality released an asexuality themed issue, with eight articles about asexuality.
- Asexuality is briefly mentioned in this CNN article regarding sexual identity, April 4th 2013.
- The Oxford Student
- Beatrice Xu discusses asexuality in her article, "Asexuality: the sexuality that isn’t", published on the 20th of April.
- Psychology Today
- Asexuality is featured in the September 2013 issue of Psychology Today. Article online.
- "The New England Aces to kick off Boston's first Asexual Awareness Week", published October 16th, 2013, features the asexual group the New England Aces and their efforts to launch the first Asexual Awareness Week in Boston.
- York Vision
- AvenueL wrote a feature on asexuality, titled "What is Asexuality?" for York Vision, published on October 21st, 2013.
- Mail Online
- Swankivy is featured in the article "Asexual woman on how she never has, and never will, have sex", published October 23rd, 2013. It is about her negative experiences with being openly asexual. Parts of the article are inaccurate, and swankivy points out the inaccuracies in this thread.
- Gay Agenda
- "#Infographic | Life In Progress: Asexuality.org's [sic Asexual Awareness Week"], published October 24th, 2013, provides an overview of asexual visibility resources, including AVEN, (A)sexual, and Everything's A-Okay.
- Planet Ivy
- Planet Ivy's article "Is this the most misunderstood sexual community in the UK?", covers the topic of asexual erasure, and features one of the co-founders of the asexual support group Are:UK. Published November 4th, 2013.
- Beaumont Society Magazine
- Kerry was interviewed by the Beaumont Society Magazine for an article on asexuality.
- sinisterporpoise was among the asexuals interviewed for Philly.com. In the AVEN thread created by sinisterporpoise about the interview, they explain that the actual article never appeared, and do not know who else was interviewed, but summarized their part in another interview, published January 11, 2014.
- The Epoch Times
- amygdala, and asexuality researcher Anthony Bogaert were featured in "Asexuality? It's Normal, Says Expert:", published January 22, 2014.
- Everyday Feminism
- Everyday Feminism published the controversial "25 Privileges That Sexual People Have", on January 24, 2014.
- Toronto Metro
- Toronto Metro published Asexuality: the fourth sexual orientation", providing a brief overview of how asexuality is different from celibacy, or temporary losses of interest in sex. Published January 28, 2014.
- Under Dusken (dusken.no)
- The Norwegian student paper Under Dusken interviewed ThaHoward and another asexual about their experiences with asexuality, in the article "Aseksualitet: Kjærleik uten tenning" ("Asexuality: Love without sex"), published in February 2014. The article also contains an interview with an LGBT group about asexuality, saying that asexuality itself is not a topic to include in their agenda, and that asexuals may be included, but only if they're homo/bi/panromantic and/or trans. A translation of both parts of the article can be found in this thread.
- Southern Metropolis Weekly
- "爱的少数派" (approx. translation "Love minority") is an article about the love lives of gay, bisexual, trans, childfree and asexual people. Starrynight was interviewed for the segment on asexuality. Published February 12, 2014. A translation of the asexual segment, as well as the original version, are included in this thread.
- Metro published an article about asexuality and Valentine's Day, titled "For asexuals, Valentine’s Day is about intimacy, not sex", looking positively at Valentine's Day as an opportunity for asexuals to speak about their conceptions of love. Published February 12, 2014.
- The Northern Iowan
- "Make a place for aces in your heart", was written by an asexual who about their experiences of alienation on campus, calling for a form of sex positivity that is acknowledging of asexual experiences, and that sex isn't something everyone needs to be happy. Published on February 13th, 2014.
- The Amherst Student
- "[Queeriosity] The A Stands for Asexual", Written by an anonymous author discussing the invisibility of asexuality, and their isolation as an asexual on campus, being implicitly told that asexuality isn't valid, and being faced with intrusive questions. Published February 18th, 2014. A mirrored version of the article can be found here
Media in Video form
This is a list of asexual-related media in video form, most of which includes an interview with at least one AVEN member. As well as various television broadcasts, there are also YouTube podcasts, in which a group of asexuals choose a topic to discuss, usually on a weekly basis, and usually relevant to Asexuality. However, these podcasts are not indexed in this list...
- Ashley Mardell - The ABC's of LGBT
- three part series focusing on Asexuality. part 1
- The Morning Show (7 TV)
- On the 28th of September 2011, Nikki Goldstein discusses asexuality on Australia's The Morning Show (7 TV), ""Understanding Asexuality" (5 minutes). Relevant thread.
- October 2011, "NO SEX?! - ASEXUALITY" - an interview with Laci Green and David Jay.
- On the 16th of January 2012, a 3-part BBC series called How Sex Works featured a ten minute slot on asexuality. The episode featured beyondweird. See the relevant thread here. There is an accompanying article on in the BBC news magazine, "What is it like to be asexual?", by Lucy Wallis.
- Jornal da Cultura (TV Cultura)
- Asexuality was discussed on Brazilian TV show 'Jornal da Cultura' on the 3rd of April, 2012. During this discussion, they stated clearly that it was not a medical condition. A recently conducted survey is discussed by the show, which reveals that 2.5% of males and 7.5% of females in a group of 7,000 people were asexuals. A researcher had stated that there are romantic asexuals and aromantic asexuals, using unfamiliar terminology. See the relevant discussion thread here.
- L'Europe du sexe (RTL TVI)
- RTL TVI is a public network broadcast in Belgium, they included interviews with various asexuals for their show L'Europe du sexe.
- ITV's "This Morning" program discusses asexuality on the 1st of February 2013
- TVNZ's 20/20 focuses on a long distance relationship between two asexuals, broadcast during February 2013.
- Kevin Newman Live
- Kevin Newman Live interviewed amygdala in the segment "Understanding asexuality" on January 14, 2014.
- What's My Name
- The talk show, What's My Name, interviewed openly asexual comedian Ben Rosen on February 5, 2014. The full version of the video requires a subscription, but a 2 minute preview is available. In the preview, Rosen is asked about his experiences, and how he saw his sexuality before he knew he was asexual.
Media in audio form
This is a list of Asexual-related media in audio form, most of which were radio broadcasts.
- Savage Love (The Stranger)
- On July 12, 2011, on the Savage Love Podcast, Dan Savage speaks with David Jay about what it means to be a part of the asexual community.
- Am I normal? (BBC Radio 4)
- BBC Radio 4's show, "Am I Normal?", discusses many aspects of modern sexuality including an interview with TheSMMG and Twister.
- On the 18th of January 2012, Nicky Campbell gave an interview on Asexuality to BBC Radio 5 listeners. See here. Relevant thread.
- Q (CBC Radio)
- BBC Radio 5 Live (2012)
- Nicky Campbell interviews Mark from AVEN about asexuality on January 18, 2012.
- AVEN Project Team member michaeld and Mark Carrigan of Asexuality Studies were interviewed on BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour on February 29, 2012 (transcript).
- "Asexuality comes out of the closet" - KPCC's Patt Morrison interviews David Jay and Shira Tarrant on April 6, 2012.
- ABC Radio National
- Dr. Norman Swan, on "Health Report", interviews Dr.Lori Brotto on June 11, 2012, about her research on asexuality. Brotto discusses studies on arousal involving asexuals, and her research on biomarkers for sexual orientation.
- The Reality Check
- The Reality Check responds to a listener's request to discuss asexuality in their podcast, which was broadcast on the 23rd of February 2013
- Radio MonteCarlo
- Radio MonteCarlo interviews Ithaca on the 12th of March 2013.
- CFAX 1070
- CFAX 1070 interviewed Heart about asexuality and AVEN on January 15, 2014. The interview starts at about 5:50, and ends at about 29:30.