Difference between revisions of "Asexuality in the media/2000-2010"
(Archiving from Asexuality in the media)
m (Functioning link)
|Line 82:||Line 82:|
====[[The Daily Telegraph]]====
====[[The Daily Telegraph]]====
*The Daily Telegraph published [http://www.
*The Daily Telegraph published [http://www..//"No sex please, we're...asexual"] on November 13, 2006. Various AVEN members were interviewed for this article.
Revision as of 15:19, 14 January 2014
- 1 Media in print form
- 1.1 2004
- 1.2 2005
- 1.3 2006
- 1.4 2007
- 1.5 2008
- 1.6 2009
- 1.7 2010
- 2 Media in video form
- 2.1 2004
- 2.2 2006
- 2.3 2007
- 2.4 2008
- 2.5 2009
- 2.6 2010
- 3 Media in audio form
Media in print form
- Punk Planet was a zine about the punk subculture, Issue #65 (January and February 2005) included a column called Early to Bed written by Searah Deysach, owner of a sex shop in Chicago. In it, she responded to a letter from someone who was questioning a person's asexual identity. Her response to the letter was very positive, and included information about asexuality as well as a link to AVEN.
- Asexual Healing by Laine Bergeson in Utne magazine discusses this article in March/April 2005.
- A column called "No sex please.." was published in March 2004 and featured interviews with various AVEN members. The original article is no longer available, see the relevant AVENwiki article.
- The Times published "New (lack of) sexual revolution" on the 14th of October, 2004, as well as "No sex, please! I'm asexual" later in December 2004.
- An article published on October 14th, 2004. This article describes the New Scientist article and Anthony Bogaert's study.
- On October 14th 2004, the New Scientist published an article called "Glad to be asexual", written by Sylvia Pagan Westphal.
- "No sex please, we're asexual", written by Tim Radford, was published in the Guardian on October 14, 2004. "Say it loud, 'A' and proud", a humor article by John O'Farrell was published by the Guardian on October 15th, 2004.
- "Be it vice or virtue, sex is over-rated", written by Hilary Burden, was published by the Sydney Morning Herald on October 25, 2004.
Sydney Star Observer
- "The asexual revolution" was published by the Sydney Star Observer on October 28, 2004
Anglican Media Sydney
- "Western sex goes full-circle" is a briefing paper by Andrew Cameron and Tracy Gordon of the Social Issues Executive, Anglican Diocese of Sydney published on Anglican Media Sydney on November 11, 2004. They comment that the rise of the asexual identity is viewed as being "hip" while Christian celibacy is considered "fundamentally weird or dysfunctional".
- In February 2005, adult-themed magazine Sex Herald featured an article on asexuality.
- "Not tonight, dear. In fact, not ever... I'm asexual", written by Michele Kirsch, was published on March 17th, 2005.
- The Montreal Gazette featured an article titled "No sex, please" on the 9th of May, 2005.
- The Sydney Morning Herald featured another article discussing asexuality. AVEN member Kez was contacted in February 2005 and interviewed for the article, "No sex please, I'm not into it", later in April 2005.
- Salon.com featured an article called "Asexual and proud!", written by Lynn Harris, on May 26, 2005.
- The New York Times featured published an article called "For Them, Just Saying No Is Easy" on June 9, 2005, written by Mary Duenwald.
- The November 2005 issue of ELLEgirl magazine included an article about asexuality, which featured a few AVEN members. The article can be found here.
- Various Dinosaur Comic (a comic by Ryan North) strips focus on asexuality, some of the comics have been pretty asexual-friendly, including one comic specifically about asexuality from June 22, 2005, and another from October 13, 2006. According to Ryan North, Utahraptor is asexual.
- Traci Hukill of AlterNet, an online news site, posted an article called "Asexuals Unite" on April 24, 2006. The article features interviews with bard of aven, David Jay and Hu.. Relevant AVEN thread
- Annie's Mailbox, a column run in some newspapers in the US, included a letter written about asexuality in April 2006.
- The Bulletin section of Times Online included a brief mention of asexuality and AVEN on April 3, 2006.
- The Edmonton Journal published "D) None of the above -- some people seem to prefer no sex at all" by Misty Harris on April 28, 2006, which features an interview with cijay.
- Yediot Ahrono, an 3 Israeli newspaper, included an article about asexuality and the Israeli forum.
- Published in May 2006.
- The Daily Telegraph published "No sex please, we're...asexual" on November 13, 2006. Various AVEN members were interviewed for this article.
- In an article called "Tracing our Roots" by Scott Darby from November 27, 2006, there is a brief mention of asexual relationships in the 19th century in which AVEN is referenced.
- Relevant thread
- Kim Thomas of www.stuff.co.nz, an online news site for New Zealand, had an article published on February 19th 2007, called "Asexual support group finds following". It features interviews with members from Asexuality Aotearoa New Zealand. Relevant thread.
"Do Not Want: The Asexual Revolution Gets Organized" by KL Pereira, September 2007
Gay and Lesbian Times (San Diego)
09-Aug-2007, "Asexuality: beyond the acronyms" by Brian van de Mark, issue 1024
- A 2007 article on the website of Kinsey Confidential, by the Kinsey Institute.
- Shelley Bridgeman wrote an article published on August 5th, 2007 in the New Zealand Herald, called 'No sex please, we're asexual'. It features members from Asexuality Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Xtra.ca featured an article by Julie Weisberg called "Asexuals Want Out" on May 7th, 2007. It features interviews with cijay and SummerSeeker.
- "There is such thing as asexuality", by Dror Elron, was published in the Israel Singles section includes a question from someone and a response from Elron who concludes that the person isn't asexual. However, Elron goes on to explain what asexuality is according to the definition on AVEN.
- "We're married, we just don't have sex", by Paul Cox, was published in the Guardian on September 8th, 2008.
- A-Sexomatic: Dealing with asexuality by Dorothy Woodend, January 2008.
- "No sex, thanks", published March 7th, 2008.
- On the 6th of June 2008, Stuff.co.nz published another online article concerning Asexuality, titled "The Asexual Revolution"
- "Asexuals Push for Greater Recognition", written by Dan Childs, January 16th 2009.
- "FOXSexpert: Asexuality - Is It Even Real?" by Dr. Yvonne K. Fulbright, January 12th, 2009
- ""No sex please: An asexual life", by Olly Bootle, March 17th 2009.
- "Asexuals at the Pride Parade" by Anneli Rufus, June 22nd 2009, focuses on the asexual contingent at the San Francisco Pride Parade 2009.
- A further article, published on December 23rd 2009. "ASEXUALS: Who Are They and Why Are They Important?" by Bella DePaulo, Ph.D.
- "Hanky panky no thank you – the dilemma of the asexual" by Sophie Scarf, February 5th, 2009.
San Francisco Chronicle
- "Asexuals leave the closet, find community" by Demian Bulwa, August 24th, 2009.
- "Questions answered on asexuality", Sarah Tierney interviews "Mark" from AVEN, published on November 27th 2009.
- "The Asexual Dynamic" by Rachel Rabbit White, January 6th, 2010 (see also, this podcast from November 18th, 2009, in which Rachel Rabbit White interviews David Jay.
- "Sex Edition: Asexual awareness" by David Beitzel February 12th, 2010.
- Harlot magazine, the online version of Scarlet magazine, featured an article entitled "Rise of the Asexual" in issue 19 in October 2010. Relevant thread.
Foreplay Magazine and The Times
- Helen Croydon interviewed several AVENites for an article in Foreplay magazine and another in the Times, October 12th 2010.
Marie Clarie (2010)
- On the 23rd July 2010, Marie Claire contained a short article, "The New Asexual Movement".
- On the 6th of August 2010, Norwegian magazine forskning.no published an article, "Det siste sex-tabuet", which gives a basic summary of asexuality.
- The Telegraph reports on celibacy and on asexuality in “No sex please: the joys of a celibate life”.
Media in video form
- David Jay appeared on ITV's Richard and Judy in the United Kingdom, October 18th 2004.
- The View is a television show aired in the US by ABC. On the 15th of January 2006, David Jay was interviewed for this show (and walked away with a ton of free booze in return). Clips are available to watch on AVEN's "In the Media" front page section, as well as on YouTube.
- 20/20 is a television show aired in the US by ABC. David Jay, Cate Perfect, Live R Perfect, GBRD143, KBRD143, and winter appeared on the show on March 21st 2006. Clips are available to watch on both the Video section on AVEN's front page as well as on YouTube. This segment was later updated and aired again on ABC's Primetime on September 5th, 2006...
- Primetime is a television show aired in the US by ABC. Aired on September 5th 2006, this was an updated version of the previous 20/20 segment, originally broadcast on March 21st 2006. Clips are available to watch on the video section of AVEN's front page.
- The Situation with Tucker Carlson is a television show aired in the US by MSNBC. David Jay was interviewed for this show on the 28th of March 2006. Clips are available to watch on both the In the Media section on AVEN's front page as well as on YouTube. Relevant thread.
- Showbiz Tonight is a television show aired in the US by CNN. David Jay, Hu and winter were interviewed for this show on April 5th 2006. Clips are available to watch on both the In the Media section on AVEN's front page as well as on YouTube.
- Doctor Doctor is a television show aired in the United Kingdom by Channel 5. An episode broadcast on August 25th 2006 featured an interview with TheSMMG.
- Dayside was a show aired by FOX News in the USA. On April 3rd 2006 Hu and winter were interviewed for the show. Clips are available to watch on YouTube.
Montel Williams Show (CBS)
- The Montel Williams Show is a television show aired in the US by CBS. David Jay, GBRD143, Hu, KBRD143, SummerSeeker and winter appeared on the show in January 2007. Clips are available to watch on AVEN's MySpace group.
- MTV News featured a segment about asexuality on April 5, 2007 called "Young And Asexual" (video clips available on the page Features interviews with AVEN members.
- Dr. David McKenzie was interviewed on the Fanny Kiefer Show about "Asexuality and Sexual Orientation" on March 25, 2008.
- Natalie Cassidy's Real Britain, a BBC3 documentary aired in March 2009 in the United Kingdom by the BBC, featured three asexuals. They were interviewed with their friends and partners. The relevant sections are available on Youtube; Part 1, part 2, and part 3.
Triple J TV (ABC Australia)
- Triple J TV is a program aired in Australia by the national broadcaster ABC. On the 11th of May 2009, Triple J TV featured Asexuality.
- On the 10th of September 2010, French news broadcaster France 24 aired a report on sexual identity, which included Asexuality. Watch here (English).
Media in audio form
- On the 30th May 2005, Radio-Canada featured a short segment on asexuality.
- The Chip Franklin Show was a show hosted on WBAL-FM in Baltimore, MD. An interview with Hu and winter was broadcast on April 26th, 2006.
BBC Radio 5 Live (2006)
- Five Live is a programme on BBC Radio.
- Broadcast on November 17th/18th, 2006 on on Stephen Nolan's show.
- TheSMMG was interviewed live on this show.
- Unsported is a show based in Long Island in New York. A show featuring winter was broadcast on February 10th, 2007.
- Nine To Noon is a discussion program broadcast on the national public radio broadcaster, Radio New Zealand. More information can be found at their website. Originally Broadcast on February 8th 2007, this is a 23 minute segment on asexuality that includes interviews with Chris Cole, the founder of http://www.asexuality.org.nz/, Dr Patrica Weerakoon, an Australian sexologist from the University of Sydney, as well as Tony Bogaert.
- CJSW Calgary is a campus station based at the Univerisy of Calgary, Alberta. Asexuality was featured in their show, UrbanSex, on April 18th 2007. cijay and one other AVEN member were interviewed.
September 18th 2007.
- In July 2009, BBC Radio-4's Saturday Live program interviewed TheSMMG. The interview can be heard here, about 33 minutes in.